.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Bringing Home Nicholas

Come and follow our journey as we bring home the newest member of our family! Nicholas is 3 1/2 years old and waits for us in Jiangsu, China.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Yesterday was our first day of sign language class. We've been learning on our own up until now, but since the school year started, the Phoenix School for the Deaf has their regular night class for families. We packed in me, my two children, their best friend, my MIL and FIL and SIL.
A woman told a couple of stories, and another teacher interpreted for her. The children didn't understand why the teacher was speaking, because they actually understood the woman signing. It was a great eye-opener for them. They have seen me sign for years, but it is far different to see a room full of deaf people sign together. They were in awe.
We split into classes, and I signed the children into the childcare program that I thought would cover sign language with the children. They were left in the care of 3 of the school's teachers...all deaf.
I went with my In-laws to the basic class for parents of infants & preschoolers. My family loved it.
About 1/2 way into the class, the woman who told the stories, who is the program director, came into my class with my daughter. She told my my daughter was upset because she had been left in childcare but needed to learn to sign for her brother. So they came and found me and asked permission to move my kids into a youth beginning signing class. (That's where I thought I'd left them, but the directions were a little muddy.) So off the kids went.
The children started a class for children with a deaf instructor who does not speak. They loved the class and were very upset to learn it was only once a week.
I always feel I have a basic grasp of sign language, but that my level is very beginner. But happily last night I realized the class I was in wasn't going to cover anything new to me. I was able to explain this to the director, who agreed to let me try the advance class next week. :-)
All in all, the day was a GREAT success. My kids were so happy to be included in the deaf "culture" and were so comfortable in the surroundings and with the school staff. They all agree that sign language is much more expressive than spoken words, and it makes story telling much more impressive.
I think we are going to do right by Nicholas, after all! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home